KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER PARTNERSHIPS (KTPs)

overview

KTP is an ideal means to boost your business performance and competitiveness. It is part-funded by the government, fully supported by universities and is of significant value to companies.
What is a KTP?
KTP is a UK government initiative that helps businesses to improve their competitiveness, productivity and business performance through well-structured and strategic projects developed in partnerships with UK academic institutions. A partnership utilises the knowledge, technology and skills within an academic institution to meet a key strategic objective of a company by identifying and implementing innovative solutions that facilitate business growth.
Who is involved in a KTP?
A partnership consists of three key players: Company partner; Knowledge-base partner (i.e. academic institution); and KTP Associate. The KTP Associate is a high calibre, well-qualified individual employed to work on a project, gaining knowledge required by the Company partner from the Knowledge base partner and transferring the knowledge into the company. The associate is jointly supervised by a senior member of the company and an academic or technical specialist from the knowledge base partner.
What is the duration of a KTP?
There are two types of KTPs, short tactical KTP and long strategic KTP. Short KTPs aim to address tactical business issues and can vary in length from 26-51 weeks. Long KTPs aim to address, strategic business issues and the duration can vary from 1-3 years.
What kinds of projects may be funded through a KTP?
A KTP project can focus on any area of your business, for instance: developing new systems and frameworks to improve efficiencies in manufacturing, supply chain and other business processes; improving existing products or developing new ones; developing and implementing a marketing strategy; and many more.

how is a ktp funded?

Funding overview

A KTP is part funded by the government with the remainder of the costs coming from the company partner. The funding for a KTP, and a company’s contribution, depend on the duration of the specific project. The funding also depends on whether a company is classed as an SME or as a large organisation

Typically, the annual cost for a KTP is around £60K and covers the following: salary and on costs of associate employment; training and development of the associate; travel and expense budget; equipment and consumables; and the cost of the University's participation.

Funding for SMEs

For shorter KTPs, the government provides around 60% of the funding (about £36K per year) while the SME partner contributes the remaining 40% (about £24K per year).

For longer KTPs, the government provides around 67% of the funding (about £40K per year) while the SME partner contributes the remaining 33% (about £20K per year).

Funding for Large Companies

For shorter KTPs, the government provides around 40% of the funding (about £24K per year) while the large company partner contributes the remaining 60% (about £36K per year).

For longer KTPs, the government provides around 50% of the funding (about £30K per year) while the large company partner contributes the remaining 50% (about £30K per year).

What to do next?

If you want to know more about KTP or how KTP may apply to your specific situation, please feel free to contact me.

contact me

There is also a wealth of information on the government's KTP website.

ktp online